So researching a note on credit crunch etiquette, the question arose: can tips could towards the minimum wage in the UK. Which led to this page on DirectGov (which – if you want to know the answer – is sort of). Which then led to this paragrapgh:

Sometimes tips are pooled and then shared out between all the staff. This is known as a tronc and the person who shares out the tips is called a ‘troncmaster’.

When the tips are shared out, the troncmaster has to deduct Income Tax from them through PAYE.

TRONCMASTER! How long have I lived without knowing this word. Its such a great word that part of me is wary to look up is origin (but tronc seems to be some sort of abbreviation – but of what).